This is a subject near and dear to my own heart. Too many adults remember being walked through a pre-scripted presentation, being told to “pray a prayer,” and being assured “you’re saved!”
Too many of these same adults realized, years later, that they never understood the Gospel, never understood who Jesus is, what He did, and what it means to “repent and believe.” In short, they were lied to. Now, to be sure, they were lied to by well-meaning Christians. But, they were lied to.
We can do better. We must do better.
This is a 90 minute presentation I gave about how to share the Gospel with children (ages K – whatever). This is not a scripted presentation. I think, in order to share the Gospel, you need to have a solid theological foundation in several key areas, so you’re equipped to talk about Jesus and the Gospel in a coherent, orthodox way.
The better you understand these things, the better you’ll be able to explain the Gospel. In this teaching session, I talk about:
- What the “big story” of the Bible is, and why it matters
- What “sin” is actually is, and how to explain it
- What “repentance” actually us, and how to explain it
- What elements, building blocks and facts make up “the Gospel”
- How to explain to an unbeliever “how to be saved”
I hope this discussion is encouraging to you. The teaching notes (22 pages) are here.